Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cakes, Portraiture and a Scratched Cornea

This week has been something of a mixed bag so far.

Yesterday I tried to think up something different for Fin and I to do together. I decided we could bake a cake as he loves the electric mixer and pouring stuff. Obviously it was rather messy but he enjoyed himself.

0523d615a9734888b547d6f6baf9316a_7

The cake itself turned out pretty well. I used a silicon could from Lakeland which created the shape in individual kid sized portions. Only problem was that Fin didn’t quite grasp that the cake was

A) Too hot to eat straight from the oven

and

B) For eating AFTER he’d had dinner

The two of which combined to a minor temper tantrum on removing the cake from the oven!

photo (1)

Last night I went through the first lesson on the Advanced Portrait Editing course I’ve signed up for.  It was long and delicate but I’m rather proud of my first attempt.

Before and After

It’s kind of hard to see at this size but the lesson focused on smoothing and de-shining the skin, removing bags from under the eyes, stray hairs and blemishes.

It was not long after I finished this that I felt something in my eye that I couldn’t get rid of. I ended up going to bed, and waking up, in some pain so this morning we went down to the NHS walk-in centre who confirmed my theory that I had scratched my cornea. Nice. The eye drops seem to be helping now although my eye still feels very odd and uncomfortable an d is slightly blurry.

Finally, this afternoon I took Fin for a bus ride to town where I picked up this amazing book.

The Sounds of Star Wars

We also popped along to Wildcard to check out their new Snape tee which I’m sure will be in my wardrobe before long.

2 comments:

RandK said...

I read Julia's reshared post on G+ about your needing motivation to update your personal blog. I can say this, At least your writing in it. I started a blog but haven't gotten past the first one. My problem is lack of time and motivation. Part of your problem might be you're not sure how many people are reading it because they don't comment. Feedback is definitely encouraging and that is why I'm leaving you this comment. I hope it helps. Hang in there and keep swinging!

Kathy C said...

I love the photo of your son! Something about the coloring made me think it was a painting from the "Dick and Jane" books.